- Please bring your insurance card with you.
- Standard health insurance plans including Medicare, pay toward diagnostic eye exams for medical problems.
- Refractions, or “routine” eye exams, are usually not covered by medical insurance because they are deemed “not medically necessary” by the plans.
- Vision plans are separate policies that cover routine eye exams, refractions for glasses and the cost of eyeglasses and contact lenses. In turn, vision plans do not cover diagnosis or treatment of medical eye problems.
- We are Preferred Providers with many PPO’s (preferred provider organizations), EPO’s (exclusive provider organizations), HMO’s (health maintenance organizations), as well as with the vision plan VSP (Vision Service Plan). Please check with your specific plan.
- Most HMO’s require that you obtain a written authorization each time you see a specialist, such as an ophthalmologist. The authorization must be obtained in advance-usually through your primary care physician’s office.
Vision Service Plan (VSP)
- We are preferred providers for VSP as is our Optical Shop
- We accept Medicare patients.
- We do not accept Medicare assignment.
- We will submit claims for any covered services for you, and send you a billing statement. Medicare will reimburse you directly once you have met the deductible. The “Explanation of Benefits” that Medicare provides you will enable you to bill any secondary insurance in case Medicare does not forward your claim directly.
- We ask that you pay your co-pay at the time of your office visit as well as payment for any non-covered services.
- We are preferred providers with many insurance plans — please check with your insurance plan.
- If you have a plan in which we are preferred providers our office will bill you only as directed by your insurance.
- For those patients without insurance coverage or for non-covered services, full payment at the time of your visit is required. For your convenience we accept cash, Visa, MasterCard, and personal check.
- Your insurance plan is a contract between you and your health insurance company. It is necessary for you to know the specific details of your own plan, as such it is your responsibility to know your benefits and the limits of your coverage before scheduling an appointment.
We are always glad to assist you with any billing questions. You may reach our billing department at (650) 948- 6506.